We have to somehow learn to DIY car repair ourselves in this midst of the pandemic while staying at home.
Lockdown has indeed kept all of us locked. We however, have to continue living our lives as normal as we can under the circumstances of lockdown.
It’s understandable that certain industries had to stop operating to ease the spread of the corona virus, including the car repairs industry.
Being on lockdown doesn’t stop anyone from taking care of their cars. As much as we don’t use our cars regularly, it doesn’t mean we should stop maintaining them.
CV and Propshaft have compiled tips on how you can repair your car during this lockdown by yourself. Technically, it may seem difficult to follow them, but after a few attempts, you will become an expert.
Tips on how to DIY repair your car at home
- Maintenance –this is an essential part of repairing your car. You must have routine maintenance which includes oil and filter changes, brakes, and tire rotations.
- Electrical repair – this includes the complex elements of the electrical system like dashboards gauges, entertainment features, and power accessories.
- Engine noise diagnosis repair – the clicking or tapping noise that gets louder when you rev the engine.
Picking up some basic auto repair skills like replacing a flat tire can help you develop a career as a car mechanic. Needless to say, you can make quite a good income from repairing cars, even if your primary clientele comprises your friends and family.
The tools you will need
Ratchets typically come in three different sizes: small ( ¼”), medium (⅜”), and large (½”). While some sets come with all three sizes, some have only a single size. You can buy the set with different sizes of ratchets or simply buy the large and small ones which are the ones most commonly used.
When it comes to sockets, you don’t need to buy an entire set. Most basic sockets are compatible with different sizes of ratchets. However, if you want a more specialized set I would recommend buying sockets ranging from 6 mm to 24 mm in size.
General auto repair precautions
- Do not smoke when working on any fuel-related components.
- Do not crawl under an improperly supported vehicle. Check the supporting tools always, including the car jack.
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Remove power fuses for a circuit when doing electrical repair work.
- Never open the radiator cap on a hot engine.
CV and Propshaft have been successfully manufacturing, and repairing complete prop shaft for big brands in the industry. So, any tips from them should certainly be of good help.
Try their tips at home and save your car from any avoidable damages during this lockdown without putting your life at risk. (Click to Contact us)