Cars can breakdown anytime!
Vehicles are man-made machines and can be unpredictable at times. We have compiled a few steps to follow on what to do when your vehicle breakdown especially at night. It is always best to check for early warning signs of your vehicle. Therefore, it is advisable to get car insurance with a company you can trust. This information will help you follow safety procedures whenever you experience a car breakdown.
Also, make sure you take your car for service when it’s due, and do not miss any appointments. To avoid total vehicle breakdown you should regularly check your CV joints, driveshaft, and propshaft. You can only find out about problems your car might have if you do a regular check on your car. Moreover, get maintenance if necessary to avoid unforeseen problems.
Here are steps to follow when your vehicle breakdown
- If your car can still manage to move, drive it to the nearest refuge area where it can be attended to. It is not safe for the car and other motorists if the vehicle is left unattended.
- Do not forget to switch on hazard light, they function as an indication of temporary obstruction on the road.
- Do not attempt to fix the car yourself unless you are a professional. As this may intensify the problem with your car. Other car insurance companies may disprove a claim if they realize you tried to fix the car yourself.
- Contact emergency services or a car insurance company for help. That is why, it is important to join one, some insurance companies do offer roadside assistance.
- Wear a reflective jacket while you wait for help, this is so other drivers can see you while on the road.
- Alert any family members about your situation and whereabouts.
When planning a trip, even before you take off. It doesn’t matter if it’s a long or short distance. It is important to always have the following things in your car.
Breakdown tool kit for your vehicle
- Your phone must be is fully charged
- Have bright or reflective clothing in the car
- Carry the red triangle warning
- Drinkable water
- Tow rope
- First aid kit
These are just some of the safety measures you can apply to potentially save your life and your car during a breakdown. Remember to always stay safe and keep your car on a roadworthy condition.